Bensoir! It's me, Benjamin. I like to eat and drink. And cook. And write.

You may have read stuff I've written elsewhere, but here on my own blog as Ben Viveur I'm liberated from the editorial shackles of others, so pretty much anything goes.

BV is about enjoying real food and drink in the real world. I showcase recipes that taste awesome, but which can be created by mere mortals without the need for tons of specialist equipment and a doctorate in food science. And as a critic I tend to review relaxed establishments that you might visit on a whim without having to sell your first-born, rather than hugely expensive restaurants and style bars in the middle of nowhere with a velvet rope barrier, a stringent dress code and a six-month waiting list!

There's plenty of robust opinion, commentary on the world of food and drink, and lots of swearing, so look away now if you're easily offended. Otherwise, tuck your bib in, fill your glass and turbo-charge your tastebuds. We're going for a ride... Ben Appetit!

Tuesday, September 22, 2026

#CaskAleWeek - missing an obvious trick?

We're slap bang in the middle of 'Cask Ale Week' which this year runs from 17 to 27 September (I know, ten days, what were they thinking etc.) and as usual I find myself struggling to really see the point of it.

I could trot out the usual trite-but-true sound bite, and explain that, for me, every week is cask ale week, but why even bother? It seems almost glaringly obvious that most people would either fall into this category anyway or not give a fuck about cask beer. And, that being the case, I don't think three extra days is going to change many habits!

 

What could be

There is some stuff apparently going on, but it's pretty thin gruel. Table beer at best. I already do almost all of my day-to-day drinking in pubs that make a feature of their cask beer, and the breweries I like are always putting out new beers. If the real difference is just a few pubs that don't normally focus on cask putting up a poster advertising cask Doom Bar, Landlord, or some other big-seller, and offering a small discount on it, that doesn't feel like much of an 'event' to me.

The real missed opportunity, as I see it, would be to make a feature of beers not normally available in cask, in cask.

More stuff like this, please
So brewers whose draught output is usually majority-keg or keg-only could put out cask versions of their beers once a year, for Cask Ale Week. Make it special. Make it mean something.

Just imagine - we could see Lagers, Sours, Quadruple IPAs and Imperial Stouts make a limited-edition appearance in cask form - it would be great!

I know that this already happens from time to time, and for a ticker like me always looking for the next rare beer, it's a treat - but there's rarely any coordination around it. Indeed, the only real instances I can think of are events like Cask 2019 - where a number of breweries coordinated rare or one-off casks for the event, and the American Cask Beer at the late lamented GBBF

Using Cask Ale Week as the vehicle to promote, collaborate and celebrate specialist cask editions sounds like a no-brainer to me, and it would lend the concept a little more weight than just talking slightly more enthusiastically about the same old cask ales that are readily available all year round.

My 'Every ABV' series a few years ago highlighted just how conservative and predictable the cask beer market is particularly when it comes to beer strength. If anything things may have got even worse since then as the kind of small brewers that would once have been cask-only have started doing keg, and then elected to make their stronger beers keg-only.

I often feel frustration when I stumble upon a beer I really like that 'would be better on cask' - this happens everywhere, even in the wonderful pubs that regularly make my Pub of the Year it's common to find a narrow, not particularly exciting selection on cask, while the keg fonts are waving their massive colourful cocks around and shouting from the rooftop about how distinctive and interesting they are.   

I understand the market/commercial reasoning behind this, of course, but surely there is room to make an exception for a special occasion - which is precisely what this ten-day week should be! 

(If there are any breweries actually doing this sort of thing for Cask Ale Week, please let me know - it's an initiative I'd love to support!) 

 

Cask Ale Week 2026 (such as it is) runs from September 17 to 27 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcomed and encouraged, especially interesting, thought-provoking contributions and outrageous suggestions.